Borrowing Terms and Conditions
1. Loan Form
- A Loan Form must be completed for each carrier you borrow with your full name, address and contact details, loan charges, deposit values, return method and due date.
- Your personal details will be kept in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, and will only be used to contact you in relation to your library loan.
2. Loan Cost and Duration
- Only one carrier of each type may be borrowed by each family at any one time. The Library will limit the total number of carriers borrowed depending on availability.
- The standard loan period is 3 weeks, or until the date of the next Sling Meet. At our discretion you may arrange to borrow a carrier for a shorter or longer period. For additional days beyond the standard period that have been fully agreed on the loan form we charge a minimum of £0.50 per day or £3 per week.
- Each carrier loan costs £5 for up to 3 weeks. The minimum charge for any loan is £5.
- A fully refundable deposit is required for each loan. The deposit amount is dependent on the value of the carrier or accessory being borrowed and will be returned in full following the timely return of the carrier undamaged with all instructions and any additional accessories.
- The replacement of any lost carriers, accessories or instructions will be paid for out of your deposit. Charges for items damaged beyond normal wear and tear will be judged on a case by case basis.
4. Payment Methods
- Loan costs and deposits are payable by cash, cheque or gifted Paypal payment, and are refunded by the method given.
5. Late Returns
- If you return your carrier late we will charge £1 per day late fees for every day past the agreed returns due date. These fees will be deducted from your deposit.
- Under adverse or unforeseen circumstances we may reduce or waive fines for late returns as long as the late period is less than 7 days and has been fully agreed by us before the end of the loan period (this also allows for things like postage delays).
- If we do not hear from you within 30 days from the start of your loan, we will consider the carrier lost and keep your full deposit.
- If you are unable to return your carrier by the agreed date due to Library staff illness or holidays, we will extend your loan period for free and agree a new returns due date with you.
6. Returning and Posting Carriers
- Returns can be made at a Sling Meet or by prior arrangement to meet at another time at a mutually convenient location. If this is not possible the carrier may be returned by post.
- Carriers should be returned to: The Isle of Man Sling Library, 9 Ash Close, Ballawattleworth, Peel, Isle of Man, IM5 1WE
- The carrier is returned by post at your own cost and risk (we advise that you use Special Delivery and retain proof of postage). Please ensure you allow sufficient time for the carrier to arrive by its return due date.
- Please ensure that the carrier, instructions and any accessories are packaged appropriately – we prefer that you ‘double-bag’ the carrier and write both addresses on both layers.
7. Condition of the Carrier
- All carriers are checked before lending to ensure that they are in good condition and working order. The borrower may check the condition of the carrier prior to the start of the loan and must confirm on the loan form that it is in working order.
- If a carrier is received by post, any breaks or flaws that prevents use should immediately be reported to the Library on receipt of the carrier. In such cases the hire fee will be refunded in full on return of the carrier however postal fees cannot be refunded.
- It is the borrowers responsibility to check over the carrier before every use. Check all buckles, hems and seams ensuring that there are no tears, breaks, cracks or holes. If any damage is discovered, please stop using the carrier immediately and contact us.
8. Safe Use of Carriers
- All carriers are provided with instructions for safe use. If, for any reason they are not supplied, it is the borrowers responsibility to ask for a copy of the instructions. Wherever possible instructions supplied will be the manufacturer’s instructions; if not, then they will be suitable instructions for a similar carrier. For convenience, links to instructions for each carrier may be found on the website.
- The borrower must read all safety, use and care instructions provided prior to using the carrier. Carriers must only be used in accordance with the instructions given.
- All carriers are extremely safe when used properly, however misuse can cause injury to yourself or child. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are using the carrier correctly and that your baby is safe at all times. The Isle of Man Sling Library cannot be held responsible for any accident that results in injury or death whilst the carrier is in your care.
- We suggest that after familiarising yourself with the instructions given you then practice using the carrier with a doll/teddy or cushion/pillow so that you get used to the tying/fastening/adjusting methods.
- Always ensure that you seat your child correctly in the carrier and check any knots regularly as children do not stay still and straps and wrap passes can move or become loosened.
- If you feel any pain while carrying your child, change the carrying position or remove the carrier.
- If you are unsure about anything you read in the instructions, are not sure what you’re doing or are at all concerned, please ask us. We can point you in the direction of lots of helpful sites to give you tips to make sure you’re getting the best out of the carrier and using it safely.
9. Care of Carriers
- Under no circumstances is it permitted to smoke whilst wearing or holding the carrier. Please inform us if you are a smoker, or if there is a smoker in your home as we will need to carefully launder the carrier after it is returned. Smoking is known to increase the risk of cot death for babies, and these risks have also been linked to babies being in close contact with clothing or objects contaminated with smoke particles.
- Do not wash the carrier. We will clean all carriers regularly and know how to deal with the usual marks. If you feel it is necessary that the carrier is cleaned while on loan to you, please contact us first for advice.
- We cannot guarantee that there are no marks or hairs on the carriers we lend. Carriers are spot-cleaned and only laundered if necessary as freshly washed carriers will not be as soft or flexible as those that are not. If you would prefer to use a freshly laundered carrier please request this before you borrow.
- We cannot guarantee that there are no animal hairs on our carriers, but we ask that all carriers are kept away from pets to minimise this possibility. If you are very allergic to animal hairs, please request that the carrier be laundered before you borrow it to help reduce any potential reaction.
- Food and posset marks are expected when carrying children, but please keep the sling away from anything that may stain more permanently (oil, paint, pens, etc.), or anything that might damage it (scissors, velcro, keys in your bag, fire, etc.). The cost of damage beyond normal wear and tear may be removed from your deposit.
All slings, carriers, instructions and accessories remain the property of Sam or the Isle of Man Sling Library at all times, and all loans are subject to availability and our discretion.
T&Cs are reproduced by kind permission of the South London Sling Library.